THE RUDE MECHANICALS


People are starting to talk about my car.

"Your car is way old", says my daughter's classmate. "Is it from Tudor times?"

They're doing the Tudors in school. 

"It's only seventeen years old", I say.  

I admit that my car is not exactly a luxury brand. Frankly, it is a steaming turd of a car. If you stand close enough, you can hear rusting. On the other hand, it is still my car. So I am more than a little offended by the attitude of the mechanic who gives it an MOT last week.

"Sorry it took so long", he says, when I pick it up from the garage. "When you brought THAT in, me and Andrew, we were, like, you're having a fucking laugh aint' ya?!" 

The mechanic leans back in his chair and laughs malevolently, which makes his neck fat jiggle. I laugh too.  (Usually, the more offensive and/or the more sexist a comment is, the more I laugh.) This is because I am a pathetic people pleaser. 

"But it passed yeah?" I say.

He wipes a greasy discharge triggered by the exertion of laughter from his chin, then lowers and raises his head, briefly, in assent. 

"Thing with bangers is the engines sometimes last longer than the bodywork”, he says. “Andrew said it wasn’t quite as crap as it looks.”  

"Great. Brilliant" I say. "How much do I owe?" 

His fat stubby fingers hover over the MOT certificate. It is clear he doesn't want to give me the paperwork until he is satisfied that I have absorbed into my very being the horrible horror of my vehicle. He sets his pen on the table. 





"Thing is love, after you came in, this guy in a Land Rover drives up. Said he was a waiter", he says. 

I don't know what he's talking about. 

“Waiter?” I ask. 

The mechanic looks exasperated. It is as he suspected. Anybody who drives about town in a travesty of an automobile is bound to have the IQ of a bag of cocks.

“As in:  He. Was. Going. To. Wait. In. The. Office”, he says, slowly, for my benefit. “So we did the Land Rover first. That's why it took so long. Though it wasn't just cos the driver was waiting. Fucking beaut it was. Dog’s bollox. We had to toss a coin over who was gonna do yours!”

He laughs triumphantly. Ho ho ho ho. Ha ha ha ha. He is the Jabba the Hutt of mechanics. Sweat pours out from between the creases of his lardaceous neck fat like oil from the old Castrol GTX advert. 

"Ta", I say, in what is the climax of my Doormat of the Year routine. "Thanks anyway".


Later, driving my hunk of junk home, I start wondering if, maybe, I should get a new car.  OK, it would be totes bad for the environment, but at least it wouldn't smell like steamed monkey shit, and the window rubbers would be free of algae.

On the other hand, if I did get me a fancy car, there is a chance Jabba and his sidekick Andrew would take it in turns to jerk off into the glove box during the MOT, which is obviously unacceptable, so I'll stick with the Corsa after all. 












Comments

  1. You are a seriously funny lady who doesn't blog nearly often enough. Honestly, seeing a post from you makes my day - please blog more ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I will try. My circumstances have gotten a bit trickier recently with my dad getting ill, and parents getting generally way needier, but whenever i've written a blog, I feel like me again! I'm already working on the next xx

      Delete
    2. I know all about tricky circumstances and parents getting needy so I know exactly where you are coming from. Blogging's a bit of an escape isn't it? Reading yours is a tonic, looking forward to the next dose! xxx

      Delete
    3. Just wanted to say a huge thanks for recommending my blog to so many blogging folk! I'll have to start paying you commission xx

      Delete
  2. Sarah had me stop by. I almost always hold onto a car until it can go no longer. Trade'em in for junk. I had an old Honda that ran like a top but the body just gave out. Turns out the Japs knew their mechanics, but knew crap about paint. They have since figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe. Welcome to my blog! Fortunately you can't see the paintwork for dirt, seagull shit, and now toothpaste. Just last week, I was taking my son to the dentist straight from school. I passed him toothpaste, a brush, and empty bottle as I was driving, and told him to brush and spit out the paste into the bottle. Did he fuck? No he didn't. He wound down the window and spat out the toothpaste out the window, where it proceeded to dribble down the car's bodywork. x

      Delete
  3. I came here from Sarah's too! Seriously funny stuff :)

    Psst. My car has an MOT tomorrow - and today I wiped a long line of algae from a fancy line along the boot lid. Should I be worried? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Di. Personally I think we should be conserving our vehicle moss and algae for aesthetic and environmental reasons, and also to annoy mechanics. Good luck with your MOT! x

      Delete
  4. I also popped over from Sarah's blog. Thanks for making me smile! I had one OLD Corsa I LOVED and a newer version which I got rid of after 2 years cuz it was RUBBISH compared. You hold on to your old Corsa for dear life! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarn. I can see I'm going to have employ Sarah as my agent! I'm also feeling the Corsa love, and I may even give her a bit of an annual wash tonight as a treat x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ON YER BIKE

FIRST DATES DATE NIGHT